Tuesday
The cubicle walls started vibrating at about 2:00 p.m.
My first thought: "Construction is really loud today."
My second thought: "I work in a huge concrete building. No way that's just construction. Earthquake! AWESOME!"
Coworkers popped their heads above the cubicle walls and started to panic. I laughed, because I am from Utah and we are filled with earthquake-related doomsday scenarios from birth. The shaking stopped. A rather panicked voice came over the loudspeaker a few minutes later and instructed us to exit the building. We grabbed our belongings and scurried down the staircase into the sunshine. The day care kids played games on the lawn. An older bloke decided he was so disturbed by the quake that he needed to smoke a cigar . . . right next to the day care kids. (Who keeps a cigar at work? I mean, other than Prohibition-era mobsters?) We mulled about for 45 minutes, then we were told to go home. I cheered.
Saturday
Most news outlets predicted the end of days. David and I ran some errands and half heartedly tried to figure out how to get more prepared than we already are. We strategically parked our cars far away from any large trees. David practically pranced with glee over the prospect of watching a large storm unfurl. A hurricane wasn't quite intense enough for us, so we decided to watch Jurassic Park that evening; tropical storms are much more awesome when raptors are involved.
Public Service Announcement: The effects in Jurassic Park have aged remarkably well. Sam Neill's American accent is still rubbish.
Don't hate me, Sam. You'll always be Merlin to me.
Sunday
We didn't lose power during night. Joy of joys. The storm in our area turned out to be quite mild compared to what other areas received, and David feels a little robbed. There are a few branches scattered across the sidewalks and streets. Church was canceled, so we made breakfast and enjoyed quiet time at home. David went outside to inspect the carnage--he only spotted one tree partially ripped out of the ground in our entire apartment complex.
It was located directly in front of our two strategically placed cars.
6 comments:
That's hilarious. I'm glad you guys made it unscathed.
Thanks for posting, I checked Brooke's blog too- I've been wondering how all my favorite east coasters were doing! We're glad you're safe. Glad that tree missed your cars! :)
Love you!
Craziness in DC! Glad you guys are safe and sound.
I just got back from Italy and without much access to the internet, I had to rely on the Italian's account of what was happening in your neck of the woods. Needless to say, I'm glad you're alive! (And I'm glad things were not nearly as bad as I was told they were). Still needing to send off that wedding gift... LOVE YOU!
Scary enough! Love you and glad all is well. xoxo
And Merlin will always only be a hand wizard....so sad!
Post a Comment