3.04.2012

After All


Every 5 to 8 years or so, I am hit with an insatiable desire to make a pilgrimage to a Disney theme park. Though I am heartless in many respects, I do have a weak chink in my armor through which Disney love streams and streams all the live long day. Why? Brainwashing, probably. I was raised during the resurgent golden era of Disney animation: I flopped about in pools with diving rings around my ankles dreaming I was Ariel, I devoured books and salivated over Belle's library, and I rehearsed ballet in the kitchen with my Mom to the Aladdin soundtrack. My family's favorite home video moment from our childhood comes from our very first Disney World trip, wherein Preston was attacked by the jumping water fountains at Epcot. (He deserved it.)

The love is in my blood.

David had been to Disney World once as a kid, but he was a little too cool for school to really appreciate the experience. The insatiable desire for a Disney journey converged with my need to convert David to the ways of Disney. And so, a grizzled old archivist with obsidian for a heart decided to re-introduce her soulful, dreaming husband to the dreamer's ultimate paradise.

Waiting to enter the Magic Kingdom

We drove from Maryland to Florida on a clear, cold Saturday. From college towns to orange groves, we hopped about Florida for a day or two visiting David's friends and mission president. Finally, we rolled into the Disney compound and checked in to the Pop Century resort. The pictures online made the joint look a little crass and overblown. But then I got to descend from our room to the gratis Disney transportation through a giant Rubik's cube, and my obsidian heart was softened.

Pac man also races around the railings in pursuit of those yellow dots.

Through the mind boggling generosity of David's cousin Cassie and her family, as well as some unused tickets from David's parents, we were able to explore all four parks for free. PLUS, they scored us huge discounts on hotels and food. Cassie and her two adorable girls would join us for a few hours at the parks every morning after dropping off Cassie's husband at work. They even let us crash at their house for a few days after our hotel stay concluded. Saintly people, I tell you.

Florida gave us perfect weather, low crowds, amazing food, and a complete escape from our real lives. It was absolutely delightful. Photographic proof:




While discussing our trip with David's parents after we returned, David exclaimed: "I am a total convert. We are a Disney family!"

Mission: accomplished. Thank you to Florida, Walt, and tons of generous people for making it happen.

See you again in 5-8 years, Disney.

4 comments:

Rosalie Ringwood said...

You and David are so fun! Thanks for sharing your wonderful Disney getaway with us! Love you always

Laurie Marsh said...

hooray for Disney! So glad you were able to have a fun trip. That is the best, well, really you are and so are your great pictures. Love you Wendy!!

Kelli Burton said...

loved the pics. love you both together.

Lynnie said...

that was a great game.