So. We are currently between Wave of Visiting Family 1.0 and Wave of Visiting Family 2.0, which means I have a teensy tiny smidgeon of time to recount some other things that we did during our blogging hiatus.
Next up:
Amish Paradise!
I cashed in on my birthday present--a weekend trip to rural Pennsylvania--so we could enjoy the fall leaves and delicious country foods.
 |
| Typical Amish children and their typical transportation method? |
 |
| That's more like it. |
 |
| David found his perfect chair. I'm sure he'll grow into it. |
 |
| And I . . . was tired. But still having a great time. |
We wandered about the countryside, made friends with the delightful (and partially toothless) gentleman at the visitors' center, visited a local farm, and meandered through the
Kitchen Kettle Village with most of the older crowd from the entire Eastern seaboard. As far as delicious country foods are concerned, we ate ice cream. Plus popcorn. And blueberry pomegranate jam. And chocolate caramel fudge. Oh, and a pretzel for David.
Because we are so very health conscious (see: food list above), we then made our way to Hershey, PA so we could ride the
Hershey's Great American Chocolate Tour. There were singing cows. How could we resist? We also joined up with most of the younger, costumed crowd from the entire Eastern seaboard, since we didn't consider the ramifications of visiting a world dedicated entirely to
chocolate the weekend before Halloween. Bad form, Pan.
On the way home, David introduced me to Cracker Barrel. While I will be forever grateful for the bag of Sixlets we procured at their old timey gift shop to help me make it through the long drive home, I don't think the ol' CB will be making a repeat appearance in my life any time soon. Thank the stars.
4 comments:
oh Cracker Barrel? you know you love it and you secretly want to be a waitress there some day...
I'm not sure if you used the word "delicious" to separate your list of treats from other items of Amish cuisine or just to denote a finite list of what you ate. If the latter, I can assure you that you got the best of what Dutch country has to offer. Traditional Amish food is totally and completely skippable.
Wendy! You're blogging again! I wore my red coat tonight and thought of you and decided it's been far too long since we've been in touch. I am beginning to write you a novel of an email (our favorite), but in the meantime I'm glad I decided to check up on you here. You sound happy, you know that? Even with Cracker Barrel in your past, you are happy. Love that. And I love you. Expect an email from me soon!
Kel, only if you are there with me.
Mel, I only use the adjective delicious to refer to foods I already find delicious and therefore wanted to consume in their country form. Rural ice cream is so much better than city ice cream.
Shannon, you do realize that my life won't be complete until I receive that e-mail novel, right?
Post a Comment